Friday, March 07, 2014

Ponderings Along the Pathway...THOUGHTFULNESS

Welcome to this month's edition of Ponderings Along the Pathway, an exclusive feature over here on the Path of Positivity.  The purpose of this column is to continue with the goal of this blog which is to create a space "designed to inspire, nurture and provide support for the soul by creating a positive path to follow, one project or post at a time".  Providing some motivational introspection on the themes we cover each challenge period, is one way of achieving this goal.

This month it is all about THOUGHTFULNESS and PAT is here to share her thoughts on the subject...



Wiktionary defines THOUGHTFULNESS as “thoughtful and considerate attention”, but also as “careful deliberation before action.” I’d like to add, “careful deliberation before speaking”,  because when I start my work day with Diet Coke, I have been accused of talking before I consider all the  parameters of a problem or suggestion. Of course, that is a quality (I’m sorry, a negative behavior) that many have. It would be nice to be labeled as a “quick thinker, but unfortunately Diet Coke doesn’t give me that super power. It just gives me the power to open my mouth before my brain is finished sending an appropriate response to the conversation. So I have been “thinking” a lot about “thinking"…thinking before speaking or posting.
Words have so much power! How many times have you felt prettier, smarter, skinnier, when someone complimented you? How many times have you commented on a person’s hair style, clothing, artwork or project and seen them stand up taller or beam with delight?

My daughter is a thoughtful person. She knows how powerful words are, and she started a tradition in our house. For the last year, we have been leaving post-it notes for each other in the oddest places, like under a pillow or in the make-up drawer, etc. The thoughtful words bring smiles to our faces and give us a sweeter start to our days; words like “Caution: Objects in the mirror are more beautiful than they appear” and “You put the Good in Good Morning.”

I love that we can use our words to show our love even when our schedules might not let us see each other often. It’s a nice surprise to receive one, and it empowers us when we write them. And all it takes is a little thought.

Words can lift a person's self-esteem. Here’s a safe link I discovered on Facebook about the power of words:  http://drkellyflanagan.com/2014/01/15/words-from-a-father-to-his-daughter-from-the-makeup-aisle.  It is a letter from a father to his daughter while he stands in dismay in the make-up aisle of a store. He sees the “writing on the wall” and wants us to take a stand by guarding what words we say to our children, and how they’re going to react when they are old enough to feel the force of them.

Go ahead, "make my day" by using your words thoughtfully.

 
I hope that you get a chance to follow the link that Pat has suggested and read what this particular father had to say to his daughter.  The power of words indeed!  Also, please be sure to pop over to Pat's personal blog, Patacake Pages, for more inspiration.  That is it for today but please be sure to stop by on Monday when we showcase the top seven for Challenge #11 and open the voting up to you.

May you always think and act with thoughtful intentions and be blessed to interact with people who do the same. Have a great weekend everyone!


4 comments:

Gloria Shirr (purpleglo) said...

This is wonderful Pat! I love the article. I sent it to my daughter and granddaughters. He is a great writer. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. Thanks Lisa for such a fabulous blog! Love it! Hugs, Gloria

http://purpleglocreations.blogspot.com

Donna Ellis said...

thank you, Pat!

Lynne Mizera said...

Pat, what a lovely, well-written post this was to read this morning... thank you for sharing and giving me nice start to my day...(smile)

Desire Fourie said...

Just so inspirational Pat. Thanks for taking the time to share.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}