Friday, June 17, 2016

Ponderings Along the Pathway...ACHIEVEMENT

Welcome to this month's edition of Ponderings Along the Pathway, an exclusive feature over here on the Path of Positivity.  The purpose of this column is to continue with the goal of this blog which is to create a space "designed to inspire, nurture and provide support for the soul by creating a positive path to follow, one project or post at a time".  Providing some motivational introspection on the themes we cover each challenge period, is one way of achieving this goal.

This month it is all about ACHIEVEMENT and PAT is here to share her thoughts on the subject...
Have you ever noticed a person who ignores or argues a compliment? …a student not satisfied with the good grades he or she is getting? …a woman who sees herself as fat no matter what she weighs or how much she’s lost? We’ve all met people like this; in fact, we may be a person like this! All these beautiful achievements being ignored or denied through a lack of self-love!

It’s time to give yourself a big hug. It’s time to celebrate your achievements instead of refusing to acknowledge them. It’s time to step onto the path of positivity, setting a pace of self-forgiveness and self-love. Of course, taking that first step seems almost impossible, but a body (and a mind) in motion tends to stay in motion. All you need is a little push. So today, think of me as your trainer.

According to Gabrielle Bernstein, a New York Times best-seller, she insists that we all must witness our fears, be willing to change our perceptions, be grateful, forgive ourselves, and expect miracles. (Bernstein, Gabrielle. May Cause Miracles: A 40-day Guidebook of Subtle Shifts for Radical Change and Unlimited Happiness. New York: Harmony, 2013.)

By witnessing our fears, we understand why we don’t love ourselves. My own fear is that I may sound too prideful or arrogant, an attitude learned as a child. We learn as children to be humble, but often that can morph into self-effacement.

I want to change my perception of the way I see my achievements. I can do this by listening to the people I love. They can identify and applaud those accomplishments I deny. Do I feel they’re lying or just being nice? No, I think they love me more than I love myself! That has got to change!

Gratefulness is something everyone needs to practice. I have gone to bed counting my blessings for years, but it wasn’t until last summer that I realized that the some of the things for which I am grateful are gifts I was given, whether it was written in my DNA or a skill or talent that I (me, myself) worked to become proficient at. In other words, an achievement I did not give credence to until then.

Every master was once an apprentice. I read that some famous artists used to paint over more canvases than they showed. I am learning how to water color, and for every painting I create, I throw at least one away (hey, just like the masters!) It used to dig at my self-confidence, but by forgiving myself for failures, I can become more successful.

I believe in miracles—they happen every day! In fact, I look for signs of miracles all the time. It could be a sunny day when a picnic is planned, or a job hire when you thought the odds were against you. Personally, my husband lost his job just before Christmas, and a couple months afterwards, he received a diagnosis that ended his ability to work again. In researching his illness, I have read stories of survival well past the “normal time you have” prognoses given by his doctors. I expect a miracle in that I can enjoy my life past our fortieth anniversary this year. Regardless if this comes true or not, I will live and love him every day I have left with him.

No matter where your life has led you and continues to lead you, you have worked at and achieved things in your life. Don’t deny them, don’t unconsciously call your friends liars by refuting their compliments, don’t live an unhappy life when you can take charge and realize your strengths, your courage, your talents and your achievements. You deserve it! You are worth the effort! Go for the gold!


What achievements will you realize as you journey along life's Pathway?  I hope they are numerous and more importantly make a positive difference in your life.
  
Well folks, that is it for today but please be sure to join us on Monday for the midway.  Enjoy your weekend everyone!

No comments: