Friday, January 27, 2017

Ponderings Along the Pathway...THE ROAD AHEAD

Welcome to this month's edition of Ponderings Along the Pathway, an exclusive feature over here on the Path of Positivity. The purpose of this column is to continue with the goal of this blog which is to create a space "designed to inspire, nurture and provide support for the soul by creating a positive path to follow, one project or post at a time". Providing some motivational introspection on the themes we cover each challenge period is one way of achieving this goal.

This month it is all about THE ROAD AHEAD and PAT is here to share her thoughts on the subject...

The old year has run its last race, and a new path lies before us -- 2017. The year 2016 brought us winners and losers, bumps and surprises, laughter and tears, adventures and comforts. It was a unique year, as is every year making its exit.

The road ahead fills us with determination, with anticipation, with hope. It's like newly-fallen snow - no footsteps breaking the endless white expanse (which is a great analogy when you live in the northern hemisphere during winter). Now is the time to dream big dreams, make plans and reach your goals.

Dream Your Dreams:
I like to start the year off making a list of all the things I would like to do this year. No matter how outrageous (take a trip to Germany) nor how trivial (start meditating each morning), I list them all out and then, sort them into different sections, like Travel, Creativity, Family & Friends, Education, Health, etc. Once sorted, I ruthlessly number them from one to whatever, by the priority in which you would like to do them. For me, I work better numbering from the least important to the most important. Say for instance I have “Go dog sledding in Vermont” in my Travel section. I would probably prioritize this as last, since I would much rather visit my sister in Germany or vacation in Cozumel, Mexico. Remember, these are dreams, so anything goes!

Make Plans:
Once I have my lists sorted by which I would like to do soonest, I tackle the first couple in each section. Any goal is possible if broken down into steps, so I decide things like: does it cost money and how much? Do I need anyone else to accomplish my goal? Do I need supplies like a computer, a gym membership, etc? How much time will it take out of my day (say I want to learn Tai Chi at the park district)? Do I need to build up to this goal (like losing weight)? Finally, what’s stopping me from doing this RIGHT NOW?

Reach Your Goals:
By breaking each goals into steps, you will succeed. Even if you backslide, you won’t fall down those steps and give up. Just stop and take a breath before tackling each step, one at a time. And don’t forget to reward yourself.

Here’s a peek at mine:
  • Travel: Plan a couple weekend getaways with husband and daughter.
    1. Pick a place to stay
    2. Check dates and availability
    3. $$= Holiday Inn points for cheaper rates
    4. Mark calendar & don’t double-book
    5. Pack bags and drive
  • Education: Learn German.
    1. Start with CDs and workbook (already have)
    2. Play in car on drives to Hines.
    3. Go to German blogs for practice reading.
    4. Check community college for classes.

This is just a couple of the things I’ve dreamed of accomplishing this year. Where will your dreams take you? Whatever they are, good luck and have fun!



Pat has a plan for her road ahead this year? How about you? Take some time this week to reflect on the different directions your own journey ahead may take you.

Well folks, that is it for today. Enjoy your weekend everyone and please join us again on Monday when we announce the Winners and DT Delights for Challenge #44!

No comments: